Wednesday, June 4, 2014

It Is The Little Things

  I suppose over the last three years, the significance of what we see as "The Little Things" has become more profound. It has become far more malleable. I think it takes a certain type of bravery to look past what is so easily seen as blunt with sharp edges to see of the softness in our everyday lives. We do grow sharper, more angled. And perhaps that is why the small things are so easy to look past. I am a firm believer that we do reach the sums of our means. Sometimes, it takes a bit of looking past what holds us back and what has, instead, held us close. I am no expert on what we will call "the philosophy of small things". I have, however, stopped myself many times from holding onto my own sharp edges. And for the first time, embraced the small, soft ones.

 It does not happen over night. It is a steady cascade of patterns of thought and soft motions. These thoughts came to me on many sleepless nights. I can only put forth what I have learned for myself here. And that is what I can promise. Things may not be fixed in a day, or a month. Sometimes we just need maintenance. 




  • Remember to embrace your creativity. You do not need to be the "next big thing" in the art world, but I feel it is so important to produce what we can in a medium that makes us feel good. To see how it is a reflection of our own inner workings. Tape them up, hang them up, hide them away. Just remember they are there. That you were brave. And it is not an extension of your being. Be proud. I will be proud of you, too.

  • Create a space for you that is a reflection of you. This is, believe it or not, a small thing. Allow it to grow as your retreat. Where you can feel monumental levels of joy, and pit falls of sorrow. It is your space. Imagine as if you're putting the words + images that line your skull right onto your walls. Your desk. Your bed. This way, when the world does get just too sharp, your space will be there to welcome you home. You will always be welcome here. You will always be loved.

  • Look at the world as if you are filming a movie or music video. I know we all do this, especially with our favorite music moving through our ears and painting a sense of being and emotion. This is not a childish thing to do. It can show you that while the whole world may be right on it's head, you will find that moment of peace. Something gentle. Reachable. And all for your own eyes. When you become overwhelmed with that increasing noise of day to day life, glance out a window. See how the shadows stain your hands. Feel the warmth of the sun leaking in. Embrace that moment for you. It is a gift for you, from yourself. And what is more powerful than that?

As I said, these aren't quick fixes. But each and every one of us deserves a moment of peace within our daily lives. You are worth that. We all are. Doing this for myself has taken much time and lots of patience with myself, but in the end has brought me a sense of self worth I never felt from "sucking it up". Life is far too short, far too delicate, not to indulge in your own comforts. If you need to hear someone believes in you, know I do. Take your time


- Spencer









No comments:

Post a Comment